Terms & Conditions - All Students
1. LESSON OPTIONS: There are two options for learning with Octave8 Music Academy:
1:1 Private (Individual).
Shared Group Session (max 3, minimum 2 per group) – For Shared Group Lessons, students MUST have a partner on commencement of lessons in order to qualify for the lower lesson rate. If students cannot (or Octave8 Music Academy cannot) find a partner to share with, lessons will be invoiced at a 1:1 rate. Alternatively, he/she can be placed on a wait list to commence once there is another student to share this lesson with.
To enrol for 1:1 Private lessons temporarily until a Shared Group Lesson partner is found, please indicate this on the enrolment form. Once a partner is found, a refund will be granted on the term fees based on the number of lessons learning with a partner in that term.
2. OCTAVE8 TRIAL LESSONS: Once a student has completed a trial lesson, they will be given an invitation to enrol. Enrolment must be completed within 7 days for the student to begin lessons the following week, in order to keep the lesson day/ time. If we have not received the enrolment after 7 days, the lesson day/ time becomes available for anyone to take.
Fees for trail lessons are charged upon enrollment at Octave8. For example, if a student has a trial lesson in week 1 of a term, you will be charged for a full 10-week term (1 x trial lesson + 9 x weeks of lessons once enrolled). However, if a student decides not to enrol after a trial lesson, they will not be charged for this experience.
If a student has a trial lesson but does not wish to commence immediately (e.g. due to family holidays or wanting to wait until the following term etc), they have the option of paying a “Holding Deposit” of $50.00 per student per class which will hold the lesson day/ time for up to FOUR WEEKS ONLY. This deposit is non-refundable if the student does not return to Octave8. However, if the student does enrol after this time, the deposit will be deducted from their fees.
Please note, there is a limit of two trial lessons per student allowed before the enrolment process must be completed. The two trials must be on different instruments/ vocal lessons, for e.g. trial 1 could be piano, then trial 2 could be for vocal etc. Students are not able to complete two trials for the same instruments/ vocal lessons.
3. ENROLMENT: Once payment is finalised, the student will be fully enrolled for the term indicated (this could be 10 weeks or less depending on when you enrol). When commencing during the term, payment will be pro rata for the number of weeks remaining in the term (e.g. if the student commences lessons in week 3 of a 10-week term, they will only be invoiced for 8 lessons). All lessons are paid on a term by term basis and MUST be paid in full BEFORE lessons commence.
4. REGISTRATION FEE: There is an annual registration fee ($20.00) which is payable Term 1 of every year for all current students. If a student enrols during the year (during terms 1, 2 or 3), this registration fee will be charged at the time of enrolment. For students that enrol in Term 4 of the year, a registration fee will only be charged once you pre-register for the following year. This nominal fee covers administration costs associated with time spent on getting students ready for lesson commencement. NOTE: Only one registration fee will be charged per student per year.
A) 1 to 1 lessons - multiple students We offer discounts for 1:1 Private lessons ONLY. Discounts to be applied as follows: 1st child will pay the fees in full, the 2nd child will receive a 15% discount, the 3rd child will receive a 20% discount and the 4th will receive a 25% discount. In a situation where there are multiple students from a family studying a range of lesson types (Shared Group Lessons & 1:1 Private lessons) these discounts are applied at the discretion of the Octave8 Music Academy management.
B) 1 to 1 lessons - multiple instruments
If you or your child learns any combination of instruments (2 or more) you will also be entitled to the same range of discounts as above. (i.e) 1 Instrument NO DISCOUNT, 2 Instruments 15% off the 2nd class, 3 Instruments 20% off the 3rd class, 4 Instruments 25% off the 4th class, 5 or more instruments - discounts applied at the discretion of the management
c) Recommend a Friend: We also offer discounts to current students who introduce their friends to music lessons with us. These students will receive 5% off term fees for introducing us to a student who enrols for a term (further discounts will be offered per additional new student at 5% per student enrolled up to a maximum discount of 20%). To receive the appropriate discounts, please notify the Octave8 Music Academy enrolments manager via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org to advise her the name(s) of that friend.
7. OVERDUE PAYMENTS: Fees for each term are due on the date shown on the invoice. Any overdue accounts beyond 2 weeks will result in lessons being put on hold. This means that the student will be removed from the class roll and they will be unable to attend class until we receive payment of fees in full.
8. LESSON ARRIVAL TIME: Please try to arrive a minute or two before the scheduled lesson start time. However as there is only one main teaching space, please be mindful that other students may still be in class. Signage will be set up to guide students to the lesson location at each of our sites.
9. ABSENCES: If students are unable to attend their music lesson, parents are required to send us a message via TEXT on 0434 231 437 as soon as possible (preferably prior to the lesson). This enables us to notify teachers to prep early for their next lesson or move on with the shared lesson.
Missed lessons due to student non-attendance for any reason must be paid for. There will be no complimentary lessons or refunds provided for any reason connected with the student. If Octave8 Music Academy have to cancel any lesson/s for any reason (e.g. the teaching venue is closed unexpectedly, teacher sickness or any other kind of unavoidable reason), students will be compensated for that week's missed lesson. If this occurs, students will receive a 'make up lesson' (either a “Virtual Make-up Lesson” for 1:1 students ONLY or an extra class the following term), or they may choose a refund to the value of that missed lesson.
10. PRE-REGISTRATION FOR THE NEXT TERM: If the student wishes to continue lessons into the following term, they will need to pre-register in order to keep their spot. This means that when pre-registration opens (Monday of Week 8 in any term), the student will be able to secure their lesson day/ time again by paying for the next term fees in full by the end of the term. When pre-registration is closed (the end of week 10 in any term), and if we have not received payment for the following term, we will open up that student’s spot along with all other available lesson days/ times to the general public who may take that lesson day/ time if they wish. It is therefore essential to pre-register between week 8 and 10 in order to keep preferred lesson times.
11. ENROLMENT CANCELLATION: If a student wishes to cancel their enrolment during the term, they are required to provide us with written notice via email 2 weeks prior to the date of their last lesson. If a student decides not to go ahead with enrolment for next term, they are to provide a written cancellation (via email) 2 weeks prior to the end of the current term (in Week 8), so that we have time to fill that spot in time for the start of the new term. If we do not receive notice until after the new term has already commenced (or two weeks prior to cancellation date), the student will be liable to pay a “late notice exit fee”. This fee is equal to the value of either 2 weeks of lessons (for shared lessons) or 1 week of lessons (for 1:1 Private lessons).
12. DURING THE LESSON: Parents are free to stay and watch lessons in order to observe their child’s lesson progress and understand what they have to do for the following week. If they choose to not stay in the room, they are required to stay on the grounds in case of an emergency as Octave8 are not legally responsible for students during lessons (see 18). Please note: If parents would like to be in the room during lessons, they are asked to please be mindful of the student/s learning experience. Any excess noise can be a distraction to the teacher/class.
13. HEADPHONES: All Keyboard / Piano students in shared lessons MUST please bring their own headphones to lessons (not applicable to any other instrument). This enables them to practice silently during some of the lesson. Ideally a pair of headphones with a large stereo jack (6.5mm Stereo RCA, not small 3.5mm), should be purchased but affordable adapters can be purchased to convert 3.5mm to 6.5mm if need be. For more information, please see the help section of our website (https://www.octave8.com.au/headphone-buying) or email us at: email@example.com.
14. HOME PRACTICE POLICY: It is a requirement of Octave8 Music Academy that our students practice at home to build their skills, knowledge and confidence. Students will not be able to play any instrument by just attending the class; home practice is essential to this process. We ask all parents to make sure that practice takes place a minimum of 3 days a week for at least 10 minutes per day. In addition, please monitor the practice the student does. There are set exercises and songs that we focus on week by week in a particular order for the student to learn hand positions, the correct finger usage and coordination of both hands etc. If they follow these, we know from experience that great progress can be made. We have set up a resources page on the website where students can learn from other student players, inspiring professionals and others. Please visit octave8.com.au and click on 'Helpful Stuff'.
15. AFTER SCHOOL CARE: Octave8 Music Academy are happy to chaperone students at no extra cost from/ to on-site after school care facilities. Parents of students who are in after school care and require chaperoning at either location (St. Christopher's Holsworthy or St. Joseph's Moorebank) need to advise the facility in writing that they give permission for our teachers at Octave8 Music Academy to collect their child from after school care and return them to after school care after their lesson with us, otherwise we will not have the authority to do this. Please note, in order to not inconvenience other students or the Octave8 Music Academy timetable, students in after school care will have to start their lessons a few minutes late and finish their lesson a few minutes early (to a maximum time of 6 minutes in any 30-minute lesson).
16. SHOWCASE: Twice a year; at the end of Term 2 (late June/early July) and at the end of Term 4 (December), we hold a series of special mini concerts called a 'Showcase'. These are a great opportunity for students to gain confidence in playing as well as showing off the wonderful skills they have learnt during the term/s. Whilst it is not mandatory, we do encourage all music students to take part in these events. The cost to be in the audience at these events (not the student performing, they are free), is $15.00 per person (per event). During this event they will also receive a Certificate of Achievement or a trophy as well as an opportunity to have their picture taken with their teacher.
17. MARKETING & PROMOTIONAL PHOTOGRAPHS: Octave8 Music Academy will occasionally use photographs of students in promotional material, including: our website, Facebook page, school newsletters or brochures. No student names or any other personal details will be used with these photos. If anyone DOES NOT want photographs of them/ their child to be used for this purpose, please send us an email at the time of enrolment so that we can make a note in their profile.
18. CHILD PROTECTION AND PARENT RESPONSIBILITY: All Octave8 Music Academy teachers hold a current valid Police Check & Working with Children check. These assessments (carried out by the NSW Police Force & the Office of the Children’s Guardian) include thorough background checks. During lessons students are in very safe hands at Octave8 but, for the safety of our students and teachers, we request that parents stay with their child (or close by). Alternatively, parents may nominate another adult to be present and responsible for the student/s well-being during lessons. Parents can nominate another family member or friend of the family by simply emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org. Octave8 Music Academy and its staff are not legally responsible for students on the way to, during or after lessons.
19. STAFF CONFIDENTIALITY / PHONE CONTACT: All contact regarding any matters relating to enrolments, invoices, timetables, after school care collection arrangements, etc must be done via our head office, contactable on (02) 9731 0263 or 0434 231 437. Staff are not permitted to give out their personal mobile phone or email contacts to any parent or student. Teachers are only available to discuss any matters during lesson times. If any parent would like to arrange a free parent-teacher consultation on progress, they may do this via head office.
1. Octave8 will never share confidential information with any third party without permission.
2. What personal information do we collect and why:
The nature of the personal information that we collect will depend on the circumstances of the collection and the type of service requested from us. For example, when booking a class or individual lesson, we will need to collect personal information such as a first and last name, telephone number, email address and possibly credit card details.
3. Your Personal Information Sharing For Purposes of Book Purchase Only:
Octave8 Music Academy have commercial a partnership with Belfield Music whereby they will be involved in the ordering of new/ additional student music books. We will be sharing information about our students and families, including; Student name, email address and student/ parent mobile number to complete orders for books used during Octave8 music lessons. Once an order is ready, Belfield Music will contact students/parents directly via email or mobile phone to notify them, request payment and organise delivery/ pick up of the order. Please note the collection of this information and sharing with Belfield Music is solely for the purpose of book orders and purchases specifically requested by Octave8 teachers, this information is for no other purpose and as such the information will not be used in sales targeting or similar promotions without the express consent of the parent.
4. If students sign up for email-delivered promotions, we will also store an email address:
We may use personal information, unless advised otherwise, to send notifications of updates to our website or events that we think may be of interest to students/parents. If you do not wish for this information to be used for any of these purposes, please contact us via email.
5. How we collect personal information:
We may collect personal information when you contact us by email, telephone, via correspondence by letter or face-to-face.
6. Keeping personal information safe:
Octave8 undertakes to protect all personal information by taking reasonable steps to ensure this information is held in a secure facility. Access to personal information is limited to the business proprietor and key staff members only. We are strongly committed to safeguarding personal information and treat it at all times as confidential.
7. Links to other websites:
For the convenience of our students/parents, our website and email newsletters may contain links to other websites. Octave8 is not responsible for the privacy practices of the proprietors of these sites and we recommend that students/parents read the privacy policies of each website they visit before disclosing any personal information.
8. How can students/parents access and update their personal information:
If students/parents would like to update information that we hold which is inaccurate, incomplete or out-of-date, or if they wish to change their privacy preferences at any time, please contact us via email with the request.